Monday 20 June 2011

Welcome to Asia

Living in Asia since 1995 has provided me with a heady, unique and often extraordinary education into the region’s chaotic capitals. From the hazy hedonism of Hong Kong, to the beautiful beaches of Boracay and Singapore’s strangely sanitized shores, I’ve had the good fortune to live in some of the most exciting and exotic places in the world, and travel to many, many more. I can genuinely say it’s been quite a ride.

Having spent 15 years in this glorious part of the world, I’ve witnessed the exceptional courage of those less fortunate than myself, seen empires being built from scratch, and watched people more successful than myself lose everything, at best on the markets, at worst to their own personal demons. The region might bring out the best in some, but it elicits the worst in others. One thing is certain: it's never dull.

I must confess, I've experienced my own fair share of personal drama over the years too. Being spiked with Ketamine and shot at in Cambodia was interesting. So was being blacklisted from Qantas. I spent a year refusing to go out with anyone who didn't look like an Abercrombie & Fitch model, and two interviewing pop stars for a living. I've been knocked out wakeboarding in Penang, and knocked up in Cebu, and that's just for starters. If I could do it all again, I wouldn't change a thing. The stories alone are worth their weight in gold.

I’ve started this blog because I want to share some of those stories and give you an idea of what it's like to live in this incredible region. Some will be funny, others sad. Most will feature fake names to protect the guilty and the embarrassed, not to mention hopefully protect me from being sued. There will also be countless random rants about things that piss me off, so my apologies in advance. Hopefully you'll still find it interesting J

Enjoy the read

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
In Search of Gerard Butler by Portia De Jorday is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at insearchofgerardbutler.blogspot.com.